Your treatment is over and you’re not sure what to expect. Here are some helpful tips for getting the most out of your acupuncture experience.
1. DRINK WATER –After any type of energy work or body work, it’s a good idea to drink water. This will help flush out any unwanted toxins and replenish your body with fluids.
2. BE A GOOD ACUPUNCTURE PATIENT AND LISTEN TO YOUR ACUPUNCTURIST. Do your best to follow instructions given to you by your acupuncturist. This includes lifestyle, food and herb/vitamin recommendations. This way you’ll get the most benefit out of your treatment. You decided to pursue the path of Traditional Chinese Medicine, so jump in with both feet and enjoy.
3. NOTE HOW YOU FEEL. Take note of how you feel each day between treatments. This will help your acupuncturist come up with a more accurate treatment plan at your next appointment. I love it when my patient reaches into their pocket and pulls out a crumpled up note about what they noticed during the week between treatments. If the acupuncture brought up emotions or feelings, explore them. Have a good cry or write a journal entry.
4. RELAX. Don’t let anyone harsh your mellow. Try not to schedule stressful or rigorous activities after your treatment. You will leave the clinic feeling calm and blissful. Enjoy it! And if you feel like you need a nap, by all means, indulge.
5. EXERCISE IS FINE IN MODERATION. You may be feeling energized but Conserve that burst of energy for future use. I once had a patient who came in for shoulder pain. He felt so good afterward, he went and shoveled his half mile long driveway ! Yup – you guessed it – his shoulder pain came back. Your usual exercise regime if okay to do, but don’t add in any extra feats of fitness because you’re feeling better.
6. DON'T FORGET TO SCHEDULE YOUR NEXT APPOINTMENT. We get it - you're in the acu-haze, floating out of the clinic. But don't forget to schedule a follow up appointment! Acupuncture has an accumulative effect in the body. To get the best results, a series of treatments is necessary.